Poor Boofy

This is Brita Graham's web journal for the MSU graduate course ENGL 550 - "Deconstructing Tricksters"

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Marvels and Wonders

My head is spinning with thoughts of superheroes, Fletch, Ghostbusters, and Derrida. I think Derrida would be amused to find his name lumped in with the others. I have also been looking at my seven-year-old son in a completely different light. Quinton has always been a bit wily, but now I just find it even more amusing than ever (and at times disturbing). I remember his first act of deceit quite well, because it wasn't that long ago. It wasn't a lie, per se. He just took another kid's toy and very deliberately hid it in his pillow case so I wouldn't know. The funny part was that he forgot about it, and when I went to tuck him in that night, well.... he was busted, as they say. Coyote outwits himself. I guess what I find really troubling at this point as a parent is the fact that I have never yet caught my five-year-old daughter in a lie, which possibly means she's already gotten away with something, or some things. And she is apparently very good at it. She especially has my husband wrapped around her little finger, and I am reminded of Mike's link to the Rebekah page (my daughter's name is Aislinn Rebecca) and how the name Rebecca means "ensnarer".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home